Medieval Art in Bohemia and Central Europe 1200–1550
The exhibition from the collections of the National Gallery Prague, which can be visited on the first floor of the convent complex, presents more than two hundred exhibits of painting, sculpture and arts and crafts documenting transformations in form and function in the course of three hundred years. Exhibits linked by provenance to the Czech Lands are complemented with artworks created in the wider central European context – especially in Franconia, Austria and Saxony – by, among others, Hans Pleydenwurff, Albrecht Altdorfer, Hans Hesse and Lucas Cranach the Elder.
Autors: Jiří Fajt, Štěpánka Chlumská
Curator: Štěpánka Chlumská, Collaboration: Tomáš Hladík, Marcela Vondráčková
Exhibition design: Jiří Javůrek, Vlastimil Vagaday, Slavomír Vlk, Viera Bínová (genia loci s.r.o)
Graphic Design: Pavel Lev, Aleš Najbrt (Studio Najbrt), Collaboration: Luděk Novotný
App The Hidden Secrets of Mediaeval Paintings
The by-touch exhibition of 13th to 15th century Bohemian mediaeval sculpture castings
The collection of twelve sculpture castings is displayed on the ground floor of the Convent of St Agnes of Bohemia. The visitor can follow the stylistic transformation of sculpture across several centuries. In addition to the late-Romanesque high relief from the St George Basilica, there are also works dating from the rule of Charles IV and Wenceslaus IV. The work of well-known sculptor and architect Petr Parléř can be seen in portrait busts from the triforium of the St Vitus Cathedral inPrague. Each exhibit is accompanied with large-print text and a basic Braille caption.
Lapidarium of the Convent of St Agnes of Bohemia
The Lapidarium collection, amassed over three quarters of a century of archaeological research and convent restoration work, consists of hundreds of items. The National Gallery Prague lists more than 800 artefacts. A unique collection of finds is also housed in the National Museum Lapidarium, the Institute of Archaeology and the City of Prague Museum. Some sixty artefacts were selected for this exhibition, mainly covering the time of the convent’s construction in its heyday while Agnes the Premyslid was still alive, but also exhibits from the time of the convent’s 14th-century renovations or a set of Renaissance and Baroque tombstones. Most artworks are installed in the exhibition’s main section, at the exhibition in the former “Black Kitchen”, in the refectory and outside in the cloister of Friars Minor. Some of the major solitary pieces were left where originally used or found (see, for example, exhibits in the St Salvator Sanctuary, oratory).
Curators: Štěpánka Chlumská, Helena Dáňová
Exhibition design: Jiří Javůrek, Silvie Bednaříková (SGL Project)
Graphic layout: Jana Vahalíková (Studio Marvil)