Schwarzenberg Palace, Hradčanské náměstí 2, Prague 1
Tram 22 – Pražský hrad / Pohořelec
The Schwarzenberg Palace will be reopened to the public on 6/11 2019 on the occassion of opening a new permanent exhibition Old Masters.
The Schwarzenberg Palace, the dominant of Hradčanské Square, is one of the most beautiful and important Renaissance buildings in Prague. For Count Jan Jr. Lobkowicz it was built by the architect Agostino de Galli from 1545 to 1567, when the Prague Castle was restored after a great fire. The palace, divided into three wings surrounding the arcade yard, is in many ways influenced by Italian Renaissance patterns. The Lobkowitz, Emperor Rudolph II, the Rosenbergs, the Švamberks, the Eggenbergs and the Schwarzenbergs gradually succeeded in his possession, after which the palace remained its present name. The National Gallery opened an exhibition of Czech Baroque art on three floors of the palace in March 2008.