Czech and Slovak Pavilion in Venice
Giardini di Castello, Benátky, Itálie, 30122
The Czechoslovak Pavilion, which has been preserved virtually intact, was completed and festivaly opened at the 15th Venice Biennale in 1926. The building occupied a prominent locationon on one of the two main streets of the Giardini Park, adjacent to the pavilions of France (1912), Great Britain (1909) and Germany (1909).
The pavilion is a structure of a simple rectangular layout, with a single central exhibition hall, with two adjoining small rooms next to the entrance used as service rooms for the exhibition. The main source of light is a large skylight, suspended under which is a light-diffusing velarium. The sole decorative feature (apart from the simple pilasters on the lateral façades) is the front façade that currently features a monumental red marble portico, set into which is a copper-plated portal with Rondo-Cubist decoration, and all is surmounted by a simple plastic inscription reading “Cecoslovacchia”.
The pavilion was designed by Otakar Novotný (1880–1859), who is regarded as the founder of modern Czech architecture.
Source: WOLF, Veronika, ed. Česko-slovenský pavilon v Benátkách: Pavilion of the Czech Republic and the Slovak Republic in Venice. V Praze: Národní galerie, 2013. ISBN 978-80-7035-530-5.